Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Afternoon Snack and Another Gift Idea!

Last night I cooked up several acorn squash. I love these perfect little veggies, nothing hits the spot on a cold, windy night like the aroma of a baked gourd coming from the oven.

While scooping out the halves, II had the inspiration to save the seeds, which I usually don't do. I am often in a hurry and it's enough to just get the seeds out! I've never toasted acorn squash seeds but we do it with pumpkin so I figured....why not?

I swirled in a bit of olive oil, sprinkled on some cinnamon, nutmeg and coarse sea salt and then popped them in a 350 degree oven. In less than 25 minutes, I could not figure out what the strange popping noise was! (So I have very short term memory loss?!)

Chad is the one that made the discovery and pulled out the baking sheet. I would say 15-20 minutes were probably adequate. We had a good laugh though because it reminded us of popping corn and.....the seeds were delicious!

If you have squash or even pumpkins left, this may make a simply, tasty Christmas treat. Pair a treat bag of seeds with a favorite mug and cider mix or bake a pie and share the seeds in a decorated glass jar.

They make great little snacks. This bowl was filled to the rim and it doesn't look like it will last 24 hours. I guess that means, "it's a keeper"!

PS, I'm working on the cheese bread recipe...I know it's around here somewhere....

No comments:

Post a Comment