Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Retro Christmas Decor

This holiday season is already looking and feeling different. Remember seeing all those images/posts of clutter moving out the door last spring?

It has paid off; We are down to only two totes of decorations (quite a feat since there were six before!) I've significantly downsized using the same strategies that I present in my "clear clutter" classes. The basic premise is as follows: live only with what you LOVE! I can sure tell a difference; we have quality over quantity in terms of holiday decor.

Something I discovered about myself is that I appreciate the well used and sentimental above the fresh, shimmery and new decor. While I think Grinch green and red are fabulously fun, they look better in a knitted scarf, than on my tree!

I've always had a soft spot for vintage Santas and Christmas decor. I'm known to scour antique stores, tag sales and auctions in search of all things cool and old! This tablecloth was a find at my favorite antique spot in Hill City, SD. I saw in during a July trip to the hills and knew it had a place in my home.

My favorite display this year is my champagne colored tinsel tree. Tucked underneath is an adorable little antique sled, a teddy bear made by my Grandma Ruth, a Snoopy-Jack-In-The-Box, and a tin top that were mine when was little, a wooden train that Chad when he was little and a train that we got for Pecos when he was a year old. (Notice no plastic items!) The display makes me smile every time I walk by.

Our family tree will be downstairs this year since our basement is nearly finished. We'll celebrate with a yummy supper and.....non-alcoholic wine, of coarse!

What's your favorite Christmas decoration/ display? What is the one item (s) that you love and display every year? Please share in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment