Friday, April 1, 2011

Spring Is Here!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

I received the first indication that Spring is here. I know that it’s still premature and the chance of snow still lurks, we are in Nebraska after all. We won’t be out of the woods until next month. Three years ago, it snowed on May 1st.

That said, today is the first day that I’ve had the tangible, visceral notation of spring. I don’t know if I can put into words what this feels like to me; every year I wait for this indication, which is more like a subtle nod from Mother Nature. It’s that crisp feeling of exhilaration that comes through when I wake up and see the sun coming in my room, it’s the fresh smell that permeates my office window when I open it and hear the sound of birds chirping.

There's an invigorating breeze coming in,keeping me awake and on the cool side. I type for a bit and then walk into the kitchen where the temperature is significantly warmer. It's not as exciting though, I find myself pulled back to the office window, smelling the fresh air and noticing the green shoots that are pushing up amongst the dead patches of lawn. The sun plays a bit of peek-a-boo amongst thick blue-grey clouds.

I’m feeling more alive, which inevitably comes with this season. Spring isn’t my favorite but it does seem heavenly after a long, cold winter. I forget what it is like to walk out in the morning to do chores with out heavy coveralls, caps, and gloves. I forget how much I missed seeing a plush lawn, feeling warmth on my face when I stand on the deck and noticing the newness of the world around me. This feeling of freshness simply cannot be replicated by any other season.

No comments:

Post a Comment