Monday, April 11, 2011

Sunshine Chiffon Cake

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8



Hi Dear Readers,

Here’s the recipe for yesterday’s Sunday Cake Creation (as pictured on Facebook!) Many asked for the recipe so here it is! It seems that Sunday afternoons are about the only time I have these days for trying out any new recipes. (I think Chad is still in shock, two weekend in a row of new cake creations!) In a conversation with him and one of my best friends last fall, I stated, “You know you’re a REAL cook when you have a Kitchen-Aid mixer!” I had secretly coveted one for years but I never asked for one and I didn’t go out looking either. Last Christmas, “out of the blue” Santa delivered a gorgeous professional model to my kitchen. I squealed with delighted and promised Santa, whom I’m sure, was listening that I would be baking a lot more!

I do think Santa and even my family was wondering if I meant what I said on the Christmas morn; if anyone has been following me around lately, I seem to have my head in a book (not the pleasure kind either), fingers dancing on a keyboard, cleaning/ organizing, a lot of running here and there and not so much baking. I cook but in my mind, this is different from baking. Cooking equals drudgery to me (personal opinion) Anyone can patty up a hamburger and throw it on a grill but it becomes a cre8tive work of art when you use a mixer to add breadcrumbs, herbs and spices to the plain ‘ol burger!
Cooking for me requires that I have a meal out by a certain time and though I may spend hours preparing, it’s only going to take 10 minutes at best to eat. Baking on the other hand is without time frames. I only bake when I have the luxury to enjoy what I’m doing. I set aside time to measure the ingredients, read directions and carefully, consciously enjoy the process. Baking requires clean-up but it seems more calculated and manageable. Maybe that’s all in my head but that’s how it feels to me.

I’ve a list I’ve been keeping in my head of the different recipes I want to try; right now time is my greatest hurdle. I have the motivation I just don’t always have a couple of free hours available. I’ve been attracted to cakes, much to the joy of my family. We don’t eat a lot of sweets. Every now and then I’ll whip up a batch of cookies and we’ll gobble them down as an afterschool snack; more often though we’ll have popcorn, apples, crackers or jerky. I put in some busy days so time in the kitchen is kept to a minimum during the day with evenings reserved for final clean-up. It’s the most used room in the house so as a result, it becomes the messiest, very quickly.

The following cake is a delightful spring version. I used lemon but oranges could easily be substituted out. If I had a garden of cute little pansies, I’d add them to the top for added visual flair. The entire kitchen and dining room smelled of fresh lemon and offered us a delightful afternoon pick-me-up. This would be a great cake for a bridal or baby shower, spring luncheon or Easter dessert.

After zesting the lemons, I cut them into chunks and plopped them into a large jar with tea bags and boiling water. After the water cooled slightly I added ¼ cup of honey and we sipped this with our slice of cake.

Oh and don’t forget to get out that pretty cake plate that’s been sitting in the back of your cupboard! Serving your lovely cre8tions is even more fun this way. I’m making a point of using all those fancy dishes and serving pieces I received some 17 years go!

Also note this recipe was lifted straight out of the Kitchen-Aid manual so that’s who gets the credit! (not me!)

Sunshine Chiffon Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar *or honey
1 Tbs. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup cold water
½ cup oil
½ cup oil
7 egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp. grated lemon zest ( I used 4 lemons)
7 egg whites
½ tsp. cream of tartar


Lemon Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs. butter or margarine, softened
3 Tbs. lemon juice


Combine flour, sugar, baking power, and salt in mixer bowl. Add water, oil, egg yolks, vanilla, and lemon rind. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Turn to Speed 4 and beat about 1 minute. Stop and scrape bowl. Continuing on Speed 4, beat about 15 seconds. Pour mixture into another bowl. Clean mixer bowl and wire whip.

Place egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Turn to Speed 8 whip 2 to 2 ½ minutes, or until whites are stiff but not dry.

Remove bowl from mixer. Gradually add flour mixture to egg whites. Fold in gently with spatula, just until blended.

Pour batter into ungreased 10” tube pan. Bake at 325 for 60 to 75 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake onto funnel or soft drink bottle (I used Chad’s Shiner Bock, we don’t buy soda in bottles around here!) Cool completely. Remove from pan. Drizzle with Lemon Glaze and try your hardest to keep family from eating it in one setting!

*To make Glaze: combine powdered sugar and butter in small bowl. Stir in lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glaze is desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment