Thursday, November 12, 2009

Something About That Glow

 


One of my favorite rituals this time of year is to light my oil lamps. Though it is a small flicker it reminds me of summer campfires, past and future. The days are cooler and nights are certainly coming sooner. Lamp lighting marks my official retreat, a turning inward. I LOVE summer. I love hot days and warm night. I think I could sit by the light of a campfire every night and still feel an appreciation for those flames, the crackling and popping and delicious wood smell.

I know a lot of people are talking about the economy, saving money, cutting energy expenses, "greening their homes and cars." I'm happy to do my part. I recycle, I try to be consicous about what I am buying and where. I shut off lights when I am not in a room. I am a chronic "un-plugger" and very committed to living a simple happy life. I also appreciate luxury of modern appliances like the fridge, washing machine, diswashwer and vacuume cleaner. Let's not forget the convenience of running (hot) water and indoor plumping! I use oil lamps not because I have to, or because it may cut down on electricity I use them simply because there is something magical and deeply comfortable about that glow.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment