Thursday, June 28, 2012

AM Reading Material

This morning I grabbed a "vintage" Better Homes and Gardens, New Cook Book, copyright 1968 to go with my morning coffee. I love flipping through the pages and seeing perfectly red, polished nails popping from the pages, as the hand is pressing a pie crust in a pan. It almost makes me wanna go through the pantry, grab the ingredients and whip up a coconut cream concoction that would make Martha proud!

In reality though, I'm just flippin'. I am compiling the last of July's Ki previews and then I have the looming project of school papers to finish sifting through. I'm not going to attempt to go back and catch up. Nope, too much. I'm going to start right where I am now, as if I haven't missed three years of documenting the lives of my children and family. When the kids ask why they grew so much and look so different in only a page, my answer will be "we were just too busy living life!" 

With those two items on this week's agenda and a major goat/chicken complex overall that's been looming for months, I should have my summer to-do's wrapped up. I'm ready. I'm dedicating July to my month of Cre8tive Explorations. I'm taking an on-line painting class and I have giant plans to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  I doubt I can completely sidetrack laundry, dishes, cooking and floor cleaning but I'll give it my best shot. I really thought I'd be traveling. This is the month that I wanted to take off and live like a gypsy. I had visions of hooking up the camper and heading west. That's not going to happen. Given the baseball and rodeo schedule, we'll be right here. We are looking at squeezing something in the first part of August (and I mean squeezing, not enough days to really make tracks). Perhaps next year...anyone want to come animal sit?!?! I'll pay well and you'll get to keep all the eggs!!!!

And since the 4th of July is in the middle of the week, we'll not have enough days to really get anywhere. Again, what I had visions of are not panning out. Maybe it isn't just random that I picked up this 'ol cookbook? Maybe the pefect holiday recipe lies within these pages. Orange Avacado Salad anyone? Barbeque chicken? Apple Pie? I think that one might be a stretch but the pictures were definitely fun to look at!

What's your favorite 4th of July food dish? Please share your ideas in the comment section below. (PS I need ideas!!!)









No comments:

Post a Comment