Monday, October 12, 2009

The Ultimate in Comfort Food

 

 



We are back home today after a quick trip up north to visit my mom and dad. My dad's birthday was yesterday, his present was US! We return to find snow still here and more snow. Neither of us can recall a time that it has snowed here before Pake's birthday, which is the 19th. Stange. Makes us wonder what is to come............while I am not a fan of cold and only love snow at Christmas, I am a fan of being in a warm, cozy house, cooking delicious foods and snuggling up with Myah, a good book and my blanket! What I love about winter, is found INSIDE! And I know, winter doesn't officially arrive for months. Tell that to Mother Nature I guess........

I wanted to share one of my all-time favorite, savory, sweet comfort foods.....Mexican Chicken Chowder. My friend and coooking guru Teri, shared this with me. Its a funny story. She invited Pryce and I over one snowy December day to have lunch and celebrate her dauther's day of birth. She said we've be having MCC. Upon hearing this, I gobbled down a turkey sandwich! I didn't want to be rude but it just didn't sound good. Teri dished me up a big bowl full and from the first bite.....I was hooked. Words cannot adequately describe the smooth, creamy comfort found in that bowl. So I was hooked and miserably full, but I just couldn't stop eating it! I left with the recipe that day.

This was our New Year's Day feature. The kids balk at having to eat soup. On this one, I do not mind. More for me! In fact, over the coarse of a day, I can have it for lunch, afternoon snack, supper and before bed snack! It is the best. I am happy to share with the rest of the family and I am just as happy to make them something else, I know it won't go to waste.

So, on this cold fall day, I happily present to you, Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

1 1/2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c. chopped onion
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 c. hot water
1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cumin
2 c. half and half cream
2 c. 8 oz shredded montery jack cheese
1 can 16 oz. cream style corn (or frozen corn from you garden!)
1 can 4 oz. chopped green chillies, undrained
1/4 to 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 medium tomato chopped
fresh cilantro or parsley, optional

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken onion and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Dissolve the bouillon in hot water. Add to pan along with cumin, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add cream, cheese, corn chillies and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Stir in tomato. Serve immediately. 6-8 serving.

Use your creativity and experiment with herbs from your garden! Basil is excellent to add.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment