Thursday, July 14, 2011

Masterpiece!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2


I might possibly be the most artistic clutz that I know. I say that because I am the last person to pull of a creation that is in anyway perfect. Most of the things I find and repurpose or make from scratch have flaws, many of them. Most of the time it doesn’t bother me but every now and then it scratches and pokes like a hidden burr in a sock.

Today was the day I designated to paint the counter tops in my bathroom. We have two more steps to complete before I retire from further bathroom updates. Counter tops and floors have been on the list for the past year. Since my finances are being channeled in other areas, home improvement ventures have taken a back seat. I thought a little paint would change the look of the room. Boy, was that right! It also has changed the look of the floor………


I wasn’t far into the painting when I went to unplug the ipod doc and move it. I lost my balance, tripped and over went the paint can. Yep. That’s how I roll. I have become masterful in the art of turning disasters into masterpieces or, er, well, at least something other than the original intended purpose. I lamented awhile, though I wasn’t heart broken; the carpet has its share of stains and was on its way out as soon as I could corner Chad long enough to cut and install tile.

Scrapbooking has helped me hone the art of mistakes. Applying my philosophy of “there are no accidents” (Kung Fu Panda) I started spreading out the paint…..and then I took more paint and just started playing. I then did something very brave and showed my kids, how their not-so-perfect Mama had decided to redecorate the floor. I got mixed reviews. The eldest was sure that it was a sun, the youngest was sure it was a giant turtle (her latest obsession) and we should add star fish to make it look like an ocean. The middle child just came up and patted me on the back, I’m sure he was thinking, THANK GOD it wasn’t me that spilled it!

I liked the idea of star fish. This is where my art gets abstract or….cave man like?!?! I can’t draw to save my bacon and I’m pretty sure star fish aren’t taupe. At any rate, I dove in and started painting. I doubt I’ll have to live with it long. My husband is NOT into abstract art of any kind, let alone that which has appeared on the bathroom carpet floor. This could be the motivation needed to help him drag the saw and tools out of the barn and back to the house though.

The counters didn’t turn out too bad. I did find a great way to add texture for any of you DIY’ers out there. It’s a mystery ingredient that is sure to cause wonder and awe. Here are the steps:

1. Randomly spill a large quart of rustoleum paint (the really smelly kind that stick to everything, including skin).

2. Next take the large blob of paint and swish it all over the floor or in my case carpet. As you notice this large puddle, simply dip your brush into the mess and apply to your counter top. Paint as fast as you can before the paint dries.

3. Here’s the kicker: The carpet has fuzzies, lots of them. When you dip your brush into the carpet paint, you’ll transfer these fabulous fuzzies directly to your counter top thus creating a very unique “texture”. And you don't have to do a thing but keep on painting!

4. Before you are done, be sure to take your brush and make fun designs all over the floor. This is sure to please your spouse, kids, pets and even guests. And remember there are NO MISTAKES, or ACCIDENTS, these are simply opportunities to exercise your cre8tive genius and showcase new disaster pieces (I’m sure they’ll increase your home's value)

Let me know if you have any questions, or comments. I’m sure that I have just earned my spot on the next segment of Home Improvement. I mean, who wouldn’t want to employ this unique talent?!?! And God forbid it go untouched, unused and unappreciated!

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment