Monday, September 14, 2009

Strawberry Jalapeno Jam

 













"One berry Two berry, Pick me a bluberry
Hatberry, Shoeberry, in my Canoeberry
Under the bridge and over the dam
Looking for berries
Berries for jam,”
Bruce Degen

Sometimes I wonder where all this domesticity is coming from and then again, I choose to go with it and not ask! Take for instance the action making jam. I am a jam fan though I never set out to be that way. I remember growing up and thinking what a drag being in the kitchen was. I am surrounded by great friends and family members who are also great cooks and wise women in the ways of the kitchen, home and garden. I just didn’t plan on being one of them! I still don’t consider myself and expert by any means and I am certainly no Martha Stewart. Truth be told, I wouldn’t want to be my kitchen………….I am rather hard on it. I managed to scorch my white counter top, catch my dish towel on fire, melt my ladle and funnel and break my favorite spoon rest, all in one day! It takes me days to clean up the messes I make, so I guess I should see more clearly where my kids come from. I can take a pristine kitchen and ruin it in less than 10 minutes……….not sure that I can gain “pro status” on Cooking Mama at this rate!

“MOUNTAINS AND FOUNTAINS RAIND DOWN ON ME
BURIED IN BERRIES WHAT A JAM JAMBOREE”


I’ve had several ask about my recipe and so I thought I would post it for any of you “jammers”who are interested in concocting your own. While I would love for it to have been chokecherry, in honor of Grandma Graham, I think it is an excellent runner up.

Strawberry Jalapeno Jam
*Green bell pepper *Jalapeno peppers, five
*frozen or fresh strawberries, *Granulated Sugar, 5 cups
1 cup mashed *Cider vinegar, ¾ cup
*Pectin, 3 oz.

Sterilize jelly jars and lids.
Remove seeds from green pepper and chilies. Wear gloves and don’t touch your eyes. If you have sinus infection do touch your nose, will clear out any gunk in just a few minutes!!!! Chop green pepper and 1/4” ieces. Measure ½ cup. Reserve remainder for another purpose. (Pizza later?)

Put strawberries, ½ c. green pepper and ¼ c. jalapenos, sugar and vinegar in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and let cool 5 minutes.

Stir in pectin (I use the liquid packets). If using as jelly, string the mixture through a fine strainer to remove pieces of pepper. Otherwise leave as is. Pour strained liquid into sterilized jars. I go ahead and put them in the waterbath canner for 10 minutes but the directions say that you can cover tightly and store in a cool place for up to 6 months.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment