Saturday, February 27, 2010

Inspiration From an 8 year old

 


Parker Ray
Posted by Picasa



I've been working on reacclimating to my home space this week. The process has been slow as there are so many mini-projects that are begging, shouting and fighthing for my attention. I don't believe my office has ever been in this much disarray, nor my laundry/mudroom, nor the bathrooms, nor the..........I'll spare you the details you get the idea. It is at the end of the month so the Ki Consultations that I prepare for clients go out on Monday. Is it me, or has February flown by?

I am guided to share how my son impacted my life the other day. This is the seaon of lent and we observe this time at our house by refraining from some, if not most of the pleasures that food offers us, primarily sweets and deserts. I tend to avoid giving up those things for the 40 days of lent and focus on self improvement endeavors. We each announced our choice of what we would "give up." Ok, I have to be honest here, I am not into giving up ANYTHING! I loathe self-deprivation. Feeling total peer pressure from my clan I shared that I would avoid desserts, sweets, chocolate (all my beloved food groups!) I remembered a time when I was much more disciplied eating mostly whole, raw, natural unprocessed foods. The results were fabulous, I was much more slim, trim and energetic. How I got away from that is another post!

So feeling resentful and not at all wanting to participate, I appeared to join in, but secretly had no intention of doing so! The next day, inticing gummy peach rings were being snuck from the cupboard and then I got BUSTED! Parker caught me and reminded me that just the day before I had given these up. Dang.

The next day, we went to two different locations, each offering sweets to the kids. Parker respectfully declined both times. When pressured he accpeted the sucker, said thank you and when we were in the car, he gave it to his sister and told her to enjoy it. Wow.

He was feeling a little sorry for himself on the way home, though he didn't say anything. When we got home I took him aside and shared what I had observed. I told him how I was not really into "the lent thing" and that I really wasn't wanting to give anything up at all but when I saw his courage, his will power, I was inspired! He beamed. Big alligator tears formed in those gorgeous brown eyes and slowly trickled down his freckled cheeks. Thanks Mom, he said. I'm proud of you too! And then I returned the motion, and tears flooded me as well.

I shared that we can all learn a lot by looking at our habits and sometimes letting go of things we really think we need or like. I remember when I was about his age, I gave up bubble gum. I loved gum, way more than any kid should have! I wasn't required to do so, I did this to support my best friend who gave up gum, pop and candy. Interestingly, I completely lost the attachment to gum after that! I have chewed gum but its not something that I even think about.
I've done this with other habits too; I am now rethinking the ones that are up for change and transformation. Time management, picking up and putting away used items and keeping my space clear could make big difference in my efficiency and allow me to get to those projects that I feel are coming down the pipe! I have big plans for my future but I can see I am doing to need a bit more discipline to entertain those experiences.

After a year of being under the radar so to speak, I feel like I am now coming to life! I often work with people who have given up so much that they cannot remember what it is to indulge and really enjoy themselves and all life has to offer. Many are distracted by all the fear, worries and what ifs. I am finding that it isn't about giving anything up, it is about making choices that create more supportive, richer experiences AND being open and able to find the meaning in every day life situations. I'm glad I was paying attention and even more so, I am glad that I spoke to Parker and acknowledged his choices! I have to wonder what our world would be like if we spoke those words of encouragement and recognition a little more often? We don't have to go looking for miracles, they are around us all the time, it is simply a matter of stoping long enough to see who and what is appearing before us and then having the courage to tell them they are on the right track.

Thanks for reading and indulging me in this moment of intense recognition, gratitude and awareness! I'd love to how you've supported someone along the way or how someone has supported and inspired you.

No comments:

Post a Comment