Saturday, April 6, 2013

Time to Purge





You know it's time to do a little cleaning when there's no longer room on the table to eat. Sad and....true. We've been moving at what feels to be the speed of light. I am deeply enjoying the traveling and LOVING the warmer temps but neither are conducive to home keeping, clutter control or organization. I will admit that I am a "neat freak" but I'm also prone to throwing things wherever when I don't have the energy to put items away properly. I can live in chaos for only so long and THEN, I launch a focused assault. 

This time though my goals are intention is skewed. I'm not power clearing, as the tradition has been. I'm taking a very slow, conscious, concentrated effort to DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of items that are housed in this space. Fellow dwellers have been warned. I've got bags, boxes, and a very LONG list of what is on its way out. Typically it takes a good two weeks to go through every nook and cranny of the upstairs and basement. This year it's going to take two months. My goal to become a minimalist (over time because my "gathering" tendencies are deeply ingrained). I've reached a point in my life where I'm not longer "treasure seeking" I'd rather enjoy the wonderful experiences.

The blue storage unit has been sold so all those treasures are going to need to find new homes as well. I'm not sure what the best way is to release it all? I'm not organized enough to have a garage sale and I am not good with pricing items; (since I bought them, they usually mean more to me than what they are actually worth.) I am ready to open the doors and just say, "make an offer" because I SERIOUSLY want to, have to and need to get rid of a whole lotta stuff! 

On the agenda today is to find the bottom of my house, clear off this table and reclaim precious counter space. That will be enough of a job for today. And as always, music is what I use to motivate me. I found this super awesome Spring playlist via Kinfolk magazine http://www.kinfolkmag.com/journal/sounds-of-spring-playlist.html. Thanks to Ane Brune, I may just enjoy this terrible, awful, horrible task :) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I can relate! First off, let me start by saying that Wyatt actually MOVED my desk from our bedroom out into the living room because he said that all of me school stuff was covering the dining table..and now, not to point fingers but the dining table is full of Pro Rodeo Sports News magazines and they aren't Wylie's. Secondly! We found a place to live in Decatur this past week but it is a one bedroom apartment- we will make it work for 8 months, is it EXPENSIVE to live in a small town outside of Ft. Worth :) of course, but we are getting rid of everything we don't have to have. Currently, I have 2 tubs of winter clothes and Wylie has 1 tub of his things, and that's all we have for storage items. Mr. Wyatt on the other hand has FOUR tubs of stuff, like things he gathered in college that he can't get rid of. And he is have a breakdown because we aren't taking our dresser with us (it's an antique that him and I got out of an abandoned house, that's another story) but it is too heavy and bulky to travel especially when we can just craigslist our pick of furniture in Ft. Worth....tonight when he gets home we are going to start packing up the van so we can take some stuff back to NE that we don't have room for in our new little apartment..whew! That was probably WAY more than you wanted to hear, but I really do enjoy moving from place to place because it keeps us somewhat organized and prevents hoarding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda!!! I don't know how I missed this EXCELLENT post! Oh you make me giggle! And yes, yes, yes! I can SO relate! I have the most difficult time getting rid of those baby clothes. I just about have a breakdown myself. It's funny how we attach to stuff when it's really the "babies" that I'm missing.

    You have an excellent point too...moving continually does keep you organized, gets the "stuff" out in the open so you can see what you have. I always joke that we need to pretend that we are moving. You know what though....I think Im going to try it this spring!

    Thanks so much for the comment, I loved it!
    RJ

    ReplyDelete