Thursday, August 20, 2009

Nostalgia



This time of year is always a little hard for me. Though I love and appreciate each season and fully enjoy the excitement and beauty of the transition from one to the next, I am a summer girl at heart. I LOVE green, living, growing things. I think that is why winter is so hard on me, life appears dormant. I know it is not, but the dead grass and barren trees just don’t do it for me.

I think this summer is especially difficult to leave behind. I have such delicious memories here. I’ve stayed home more this summer than I ever have~ it gets expensive to travel every weekend and for my own personal sanity I needed (and wanted) to be a bit more grounded. I simply don’t do well driving all night. I realized that fact this summer on our way home from Yellowstone. Later that weekend, as Chad was driving from Minnesota back to Valentine, NE in the wee hours of the am, you can’t believe how grateful I was for a comfortable, cozy bed that was going to be in the same place when I woke up!

I am starting to enjoy mornings or at least appreciate them more than I used to. Don’t get me wrong, I will still burrow down in the covers if I think I can get away with it, but there is an excitement now that hasn’t been there before. The best days are the ones where I know that I am going to be here all day and I have no place that I have to be. It doesn’t make me more productive or efficient, but it is deeply relaxing.

What I will miss about summer is sitting on the deck in the mornings drinking my coffee and hanging out with my girl and the dogs. I love looking out seeing the trees, the grass and the luscious green fields. I get the same treat at night watching the sun go down. There are a lot of other places that I would like to experience living in someday. I think someplace with mountains would be great, I long for the beach and I am curious to experince Alaska. (extremes I know but hey, I like adventure!)


For right now though I am content to welcome in a new season while I fully savor the taste of summer, just a bit longer. I will hold on as long as I can, even if it is just a memory. I am funny in that way. I attach easily. I follow my heart. I never ever thought I would say I was content to be “just at home” and this summer has helped me recognized that “just being at home” has been a beautiful blessing.



I will miss going out to the garden and seeing my plants every day. I will miss the freshly mowed lawn and the kids and dogs running through the sprinkler. I will miss the hot days and starry nights that look so different during summer. (yes I am a star gazer, so even in winter, I wrap up in blankets, look up and dream.) There's a lot of simple, silly things I will miss, but I have found a piece of my soul and that will always be with me now. I guess I just had to stop long enough for it to for it to find me!

I'm sure that no matter where I am living, this part of my soul will guide, support, love and protect me. For this I am blessed, and I can now head into the less-than-green season because I know the grass will return. The sunshine won't leave and new adventures await, just under the cold and snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment